[Xiph-Advocacy] The Main Page of SOM

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 15:48:12 PDT 2007

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:

> Regarding your first question, no, we should avoid being too
> technical.  Maybe a bit, but not much.  I think it was Lucas who once
> told me that people today(!) still find it hard to spell MP3, much
> less know what it is exactly.  It just works, you know, more or less
> like DVDs.  "It plays those neat pirate songs of Christina Aguilera
> that I just downloaded".  This is our audience.  They don't care about
> freedom.  They don't care about patents.  So it is very difficult to
> deal with the audience, but if we don't try we get booo'd.
>
> So, generally speaking, the best argument has to be the pratical one.
> The quality.  Ease of sharing it over the Web (when HTML 5 browsers
> start showing up).  Maybe talk a bit of Free Culture, though not much,
> or the audience loses interest.

Actually, this is an interesting point of view.  The people who
are likely to argue back when you talk about higher quality, or
say ease of sharing isn't important to them are probably already
clued up to some extent.  Though, to be honest, I have very little
interest in helping Christina Aguilera fans.

imalone