[Advocacy] persuading mobile phone manufacturers to implement Vorbis support

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Tue May 29 01:22:37 PDT 2007

On 5/28/07, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> However several Symbian based phones can run Vorbis
> through third party software, this isn't the obstacle
> in those cases.

Yes.  What Monty meant was that old hardware didn't have enough power
to run Vorbis, so MP3 became the winner in spite of its bad quality,
non-standard design and expensive license fees.

Most modern cellphones are ready to play any of Vorbis, Speex, or FLAC.

Even VLSI Solution Oy has announced VS1000[1], the first 16 bits DSP
device for playing Vorbis on low-power and high-volume products.  And
its quite cheap.

What's holding them back is non-demand by its users.  With some luck,
the SOM project will change this.  Speaking of SOM, we are in need of
volunteers willing to write a few articles to help us promote Xiph's
formats.  If you are interested, be sure to contact me or the advocacy
list.

-Ivo

[1] http://www.vlsi.fi/vs1000/vs1000.shtml