[Advocacy] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Proposal: An extension to rules all others

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 09:04:37 PST 2007

On 16/01/07, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/01/07, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1/15/07, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> That's me being very flippant, I'm talking about Vista.  Lots of talk
> about rewritten codebases, NTFS and this new database thing
> replacing FAT, but if it still uses .ext style extensions to tell it and
> the user what's in a file then there's an important legacy aspect still
> stuck there[1].  Twelve years after Windows 95.  Anyhow, best not
> start ranting off on a tangent.
>
> [1] Yes things have been improved, but how long has the Mac had
>  (and used) resource forks?

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929149>
No apparently the new, 'revamped', association service is based
on extensions. However the above article is actually about getting
applications onto the association service = free advertising if a
sensible set of extensions can be worked out and applications
chosen.

--
imalone