[Xiph-Advocacy] Fwd: [whatwg] Video codec requirements changed

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 19:35:55 PST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 10:27 PM, Conrad Parker <conrad at metadecks.org> wrote:
>From: Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch>
>> I've temporarily removed the requirements on video codecs from the HTML5
>> spec, since the current text isn't helping us come to a useful
>> interoperable conclusion. When a codec is found that is mutually
>> acceptable to all major parties I will update the spec to require that
>> instead and then reply to all the pending feedback on video codecs.

> One day before the W3C Video on the Web workshop, the codec
> recommendations have been removed from the HTML5 draft :-(

One might wonder what he meant by "mutually acceptable" that the prior
recommendation failed, but the actual diff
(http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=1142&to=1143) doesn't
leave any doubt:

"and that is not an additional submarine patent risk for large companies."

I hate to be rude, but if the W3C is going to enter the business of
legal speculation then perhaps it ought to retain its own neutral and
independent legal council for this purpose.

The Nokia position paper was very careful with its wording, because to
fault Theora vs H.264 or other contemporary codecs on the basis of
submarine patent would be an utterly dishonest and despicable thing to
do.  Sadly, they didn't have to go that far for the innuendo to have
the desired effect.