[Advocacy] Re: Me, the grouser?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 07:50:44 PDT 2007

On 23/08/07, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Internet drama at its best.

Personally I'm not a fan of the private mail to public thing.  But
while it might have been possible to guess who the original
mail was from Tor didn't name them and he posted to clarify
he does support Xiph's aims, which is surely a good thing?

> Here's the follow up message that you forgot to post about:
> "I don't mind realistic people.  I would appreciate, though, if you
> would not give a negative impression of what we do when you post
> something to the lists.  We already have a lot of opposition and bad
> mouthing out there, and I find we don't need more in here, as well.
>
> That's your call, though.  Understand that it hurts our efforts a lot.
>  And your own.

An open process doesn't need people to be "on message",
except possibly the lead developers.  It's healthy to have
discussions and that means we need sceptical viewpoints
as well as shiny-happy-people ones.  And it's good to have
those discussions openly.

> Unfortunately, in this world of ours, reputation is what makes credibility."

Well, yes.

--
imalone