[Advocacy] Me, the grouser?

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Thu Aug 23 13:35:09 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 22:08 +0200, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> after attempting to correct Ivo's statement about Theora and Vorbis
> being the "default codecs" in the HTML 5 draft, I just got the following
> mail off list:
>
> "Why are you still here? And by here I mean the Xiph lists. I've seen
> you speaking ill of our formats and of free software more than in one
> occasion. So, for what purpose do you still stick around? What is your
> intention?"

You're not saying who sent this, but unless this message came directly
from Monty, which I doubt very much, it is in my opinion out of turn and
out of line in every conceivable way. Maybe whoever sent this confused
you with somebody else, but even so, last I checked, Xiph was an open
community where people were free to voice their opinions, even unpopular
opinions.

Anyway, I don't remember ever seeing you speak ill of Ogg formats here
or anywhere. I do remember, though, that among other contributions such
as J-Ogg, you attempted to implement a Flash-based Vorbis player, and
while the attempt was apparently unsuccessful, the effort is still much
appreciated IMHO.

Just my two cents,

Carsten.