[Advocacy] Me, the grouser?

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo tor-einar at jarnbjo.name
Thu Aug 23 13:08:28 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

after attempting to correct Ivo's statement about Theora and Vorbis
being the "default codecs" in the HTML 5 draft, I just got the following
mail off list:

"Why are you still here? And by here I mean the Xiph lists. I've seen
you speaking ill of our formats and of free software more than in one
occasion. So, for what purpose do you still stick around? What is your
intention?"

Am I really coming through like such a beefy grouser? I hope people
knowing me a little bit better realize that I've spent quite some time
on Xiph related work, which however does not keep me from being
realistic and rather sceptic towards many of the approaches I've seen to
support Xiph. It might just be me, but I don't think bashing around on
other formats or claiming incorrect advantages of the Xiph formats will
do any good.

Regards,
Tor