[Advocacy] Re: Ogg logo design

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Thu Aug 10 06:40:59 PDT 2006

Hi Bob,

> It is unfortunate that organizations tend to move toward making
> themselves "less open" as their "open" products become more
> successful.

I don't think that's true in the case of Xiph.org - I just think that as
engineers, the Xiph.org people don't recognise the importance of solving
the branding problem. From the outside, as an end-user, it's much easier
to perceive.

Also, Xiph.org's proprietary competitors have millions of dollars to
spend on advertising, with whole teams of marketing experts at their
disposal. Consider the iPod billboards, for instance.

Cheers!

Daniel