[Advocacy] Bounties

Joshua Root z3022016 at student.unsw.edu.au
Tue Sep 13 23:22:39 PDT 2005

I have been hearing rumblings in the Mac community lately about the
poor support for Ogg/Vorbis in OS X. For many, the last straw came
when the qtoggvorbis component, which had been the only way to play
Vorbis in iTunes, stopped working under the newly-released QuickTime
7. Worse, the project's admins have apparently been unreachable for a
year now.

I have heard several people express their interest in the proposed
bounty, mentioned on the Xiph wiki, for the creation of a Xiph
QuickTime component which would support Ogg and all the Xiph codecs.

They also had some concerns, however: the bounty has not been
officially offered yet, and its value is unknown. It isn't being
publicized, so there is the possibility that it may not be claimed on
a convenient time scale. Some perceived the bounty as being too big a
job: perhaps it could be broken up into a few smaller milestones,
each with their own reward?

Nonetheless, a few have in fact donated money to Xiph with a request
that it be put toward the QuickTime component bounty.

In light of all this, I think that now is a very good time to
announce the bounty officially, put in a suitable amount of money
from the foundation, and actively solicit donations. From what I've
seen, there are a nontrivial number of Mac users who would really
like somebody to fix this problem.

Cheers,
Josh