[Advocacy] Bounties

Joshua Root z3022016 at student.unsw.edu.au
Sun Oct 16 06:10:18 PDT 2005

>On 9/14/05, Joshua Root <z3022016 at student.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
>>  I have been hearing rumblings in the Mac community lately about the
>>  poor support for Ogg/Vorbis in OS X. For many, the last straw came
>>  when the qtoggvorbis component, which had been the only way to play
>>  Vorbis in iTunes, stopped working under the newly-released QuickTime
>>  7. Worse, the project's admins have apparently been unreachable for a
>>  year now.
>
>Hullo,
>
>http://zskl.zsk.p.lodz.pl/~skali/oggvorbis.html
>
>I heard that this works with Quicktime 7, although I haven't checked
>it out myself.
>
>Cheers,
>Kyungjoon Lee

Yes, it does work. :-)

It solves the immediate problem of not being able to play Vorbis in
iTunes anyway. A takeover request has been issued for the SourceForge
project, since the admins still seem to be MIA -- maybe there will be
progress towards a full Xiph component as described in the bounty.
Some people are planning to rewrite the Vorbis codec as an Audio
Unit, at least.

- Josh