[Advocacy] Re: Is Microsoft being cruel to OGG?

Jeff MacDonald jam at zoidtechnologies.com
Tue Oct 4 22:34:16 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 13:04 +0800, illiminable wrote:
> Hi there Carlo,
>
> I wasn't previously on this list, but someone pointed me to your post.
>
> Just to clear a few things up...
>
> I created the .oga and .ogv extensions for use on windows. They were created
> for a few reasons... the primary one being the way that the media library
> works in WMP.

ya.. by checking only the file extension instead of actually opening the
file and looking at the "magic" which is usually the first bytes of the
file (or having streaming formats that send a MIME type), MSFT has again
caused some grief. *sigh*

however, your solution seems reasonable-- mp4 is a generic "container"
format like ogg is according to this definition at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp4 and m4a is used as a file extension for
audio using the mp4 container format.

please make sure this is documented in the appropriate section of the
website (along with the rationale).

regards,
Jeff MacDonald
Zoid Technologies
Fingerprint: 0831 879E B6B4 C4CC D3C9 419F B12D E3CE B927 04B2