[advocacy] is this list active?

Arc Riley arc at xiph.org
Thu Feb 26 20:01:57 PST 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:24:08PM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> >No because it neither encodes or decodes.  I only paces the MP3 stream
> >to realtime and prehaps does some ID3 tag interpretation.
>
> Icecast might not encode, but for live streaming you need _some_
> encoder, no?  ;-)

Yes.  IceS0 links against LAME.  I know that Xiph doesn't ship binaries
of it, and we don't mirror LAME, and well... it's sticky.  IMHO, we
should mark ices0 as being "obsolete" for the "very few" people who
still need to stream MP3 for "specific applications".

Really, I think we need to promote the fact that Ogg has become widely
adopted at this point, to the degree that MP3 streaming simply wastes
bandwidth, and that MP3 isn't accessable everywhere because of patent
issues (ie, Redhat).