[advocacy] Ogg & Ogg Vorbis _unofficial_ logos page.

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri Oct 17 01:36:37 PDT 2003

> I've just set up a web page with my functional, yet very ugly and
> _very unofficial_ set of logos for Ogg, Ogg Vorbis and family.

Could you put my idea up there too? Maybe we could have a logo
competition!

I'd really like to hear an official response on this subject from
Xiph.org. I respect the technical abilities of the Ogg developers,
but when it comes to hardware branding neither the fish or the thor
logos are adequate. I think the input of some experienced graphic
designers and/or marketing people is needed, as it would be a shame
for Ogg support to go unrecognised over such a simple issue.

Why do you think iRiver created their own logo for Vorbis support?
Because the existing logos just don't work, and are far too expensive
to print on the case of a hardware device. If you don't tackle this
issue, you'll either get a variety of non-standard logos appearing,
or more likely you won't see Ogg on hardware or packaging at all.

There's no reason why the fish can't be retained as the logo of
Xiph.org or whatever. But please, look beyond your personal
attachment to the old logos and think about the bigger picture.

Cheers

Daniel