[advocacy] The future for open streaming solutions at the BBC?

boink boink
Thu Mar 20 02:27:04 PST 2003

hello,

yes, their point is more than justified. We must never forget the
"average" user in a case like this. The average user still cannot use
the ogg format. It's still far too complicated for the "average" use to
use.

Though, I don't see the sense in the BBC using the Real Audio format.
Real Audio Servers licence fees are not cheap.

WBAI has been using the mp3 format (which 2600.com has been doing the
streaming for them. Paying for webcasting is not even in the WBAI
budjet). And if you look on www.wbai.org you will find one link for
Windows Media Player and the other for Real Audio. The average user
clicks on the links and it works. Sadly, it isn't that simple yet for
ogg. wbai website => www.wbai.org

Though, it would be nice that a public broadcaster could support an open
source project as an open source project could support public
broadcasting. I see a good possibility for a symbiosis which could last
for many years.

The question is here ... can the BBC do its own ogg stream? Isn't there
someone out there who can do it for them? We mustn't forget that the BBC
is a braindead bureaucracy, like all bureacracies of its size. And we
mustn't forget how conservative people can become when doing the same
job year after year. "Why should we change?" ... "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it", etc. Thus, we can see that a bureaucracy tends to work
for itself rather to provide the best quality service possible.

I am doing an ogg stream for FranceInter after they decided to only
stream in the Windows Media format. If you want to read about my stream,
it's on:

http://cuba.calyx.nl/~oink/oggstreams/

ogg stream stats are on (the stats have been running only for 6 days):

http://unix.rulez.org/~boink/report.html

happy streaming!

boink