[advocacy] JavaOne Conference and "Tiger" (J2SE 1.5)

Dave H dmh at dmh.org.uk
Sat Jun 7 04:10:03 PDT 2003

Hello,

I note in passing that one of the Birds-of-a-Feather sessions at this
years JavaOne (June 10-13th) will be entitled "What's New in Java Sound
API in Tiger".  See
<http://servlet.java.sun.com/javaone/sf2003/conf/sessions/display-1885.jsp>.

("Tiger" is the codename for J2SE (Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition)
version 1.5.)

The BOF focuses on Java's sound API and enticingly suggests, "For
example, find out if mp3 or ogg/vorbis will be finally supported, or if
professional support for multi-channel soundcards is on its way into the
Java technology core."

Another of the three sound-related sessions is entitled "Distributed
Music -- Jam with Java Sound API, Project JXTA, and ogg/vorbis";
apparantly it will discuss the hows and whys of choosing Ogg Vorbis for
compression.

Does this truly mean Vorbis will be supported, by default, in all future
Java implementations?  If so I think it's a major boost for Vorbis and
the Java community alike!

(Bah! If only I could go. ;o)

Regards,

Dave