[advocacy] Suggestions: Hardware info page on Vorbis.com?

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Wed Jan 8 22:59:22 PST 2003

Hello all,

This seems like a reasonable place to make suggestions about the
vorbis.com site, at least to test the waters.

It seems on these lists, iRiver's forums, etc. people are always asking
about portable player support.  Before, there was not much to offer, but
now there is some non-PC hardware that supports Vorbis, and hope for
more.  I think Vorbis.com could make this more obvious.

I'd like to see a section Hardware at the top (There's even space for
another icon), similar to the software section, where people can see the
growing hardware support.  For now it could talk about the Zaurus and
Palm, the DVD player, and iRiver's efforts, and in the future, anything
else hardware-related that comes up.

Many people are delaying both using Vorbis and getting portable media
players because of the lack of hardware support, hopefully this would
show them that there could be things coming soon, and tell them what
there already is.  Also, it might make companies like iRiver that work
with Xiph a little happier, getting them some recognition.  Some report
of iRiver's progress might keep so many from nagging on their forums.
Basically, it's a bit of advertising for both anyone who helps us on the
hardware player front and Vorbis.

Does anyone else have any ideas, people to contact, etc?  I'd be happy
to spend some time on this and help with content, though I'm not really
a web designer.

--
Tom Felker

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.