[advocacy] DRM in OGG - A Proposal

Vance Roussin vance.the.stampede at telusplanet.net
Tue Nov 5 12:33:40 PST 2002

>In practice, how does DRM prevent illegal copying without preventing legal
>copying?

>Even worse, the real criminals will hack DRM.

These where exactly the points I was trying to make but Daniel thought I
meant making thousands of copies. The thing about making copies is that it
is a process that doesn't discriminate by volume. I have a right to make as
many copies for myself as I need. Be it 1 or 1 million it doesn't matter.

Pirates will crack any DRM they need to to stay in business so all that
sacrificing of my rights to help pay those starving artists will go to
waste anyway.

Give me a DRM solution (both hardware and software) that:

1. Allows me to make digitally perfect non-DRMed copies of DRM music I
purchase for use in my own old non-DRM hardware.

2. Allows me to use my DRM hardware to play music I recorded and non-DRM
music.

3. Does both of these without the possibility that my personal music
preferences could be tracked, gathered and sold.

Then it will have my support. 'Course then it would be useless at
protecting the artists' rights.

Best of luck to all the DRM advocates out there.

-vance

hypothetical and extreme case but just think about it. Do you really
believe, in such a scenario, that there will be no new music 20 years from
now? The music must go on. Not because people want it to, but because the
music wants to.