[advocacy] DRM in OGG - A Proposal

Vance Roussin vance.the.stampede at telusplanet.net
Tue Nov 5 02:20:55 PST 2002

>For those of you who think DRM=always bad, consider that the GNU GPL is a
form
>of DRM. It manages the rights of both authors and users of digitally stored
>information, in this case usually source code and binaries rather than audio
>and video. The enforcement is by legal threat over copyright infringement,
>although it rarely actually goes to court.

"GNU GPL is a form of DRM"

Yes it does manage digital copyrights, however that hardly puts it on the
same level. No DRM solution ENFORCES your right to burn it to CD. People
have many other perfectly legal reasons for doing exactly what pirates do.
Which is why I believe DRM will have to be forced down our throats. And
even then it will fail to protect the rights of artists. DRM will only
steal the rights of consumers who would willing part with them. The thing
all related corporations are going to need to learn (again). Is that no
matter how you match wits, how much you put up a fight, in the end the
customers will have their way. And if you lose business because the
customers where not willing to put up with your crap and went somewhere
where they did not have to. Too bad, so sad.

The music industry is not failing because of a lack of rights management.
Its changing. Whether it changes hands, or merely changes is totally up
those who currently hold the ball.

-vance