[advocacy] DRM in OGG - A Proposal

Tim Ivorson tim.ivorson at mailandnews.com
Sun Nov 3 10:19:37 PST 2002

> It can't work if only 50% of music is sold via DRM, especially if the small
> labels without DRM have the best new music. That's why the content industry
> wants hardware-enforced content policing, like Palladium. It'll be because it
> won't be optional, not because software-only DRM is easier to crack.
> Fortunately there's more than one CPU manufacturer in the world and a genuine
> choice in operating systems...

AIUI it should be possible to completely disable hardware support for TCPA systems (like Palladium), the only (negative) side-effect being that you won't be able to access audio/video/pictures/text that has been designed to require a TCPA system. The stuff that is designed to require a TCPA system will almost certainly use the kind of DRM that infringes consumers' rights, but more importantly it will tie users into a system that takes away their privacy and their control over what their computers do. We ought not to support TCPA-requiring audio/video/pictures/text, even if it doesn't necessarily infringe consumers' rights with respect to audio/video/pictures/text.

Tim Ivorson