[advocacy] Re: [vorbis] Happy New Year! RC3 Released!

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Wed Jan 2 21:39:06 PST 2002

> > Bitrate management only works for stereo 44.1kHz 16bit files.  VBR modes
> > are tuned for 44.1kHz but will work on any input.
>
> So what about encoding mono (i.e. truly single-channel) 16-bit 44.1 kHz
> .wav files? If I want such a file to have the same quality as a stereo
> file, do I use the same -q value, or cut it by half, or what?

It depends.  If the mode is coupled, it won't quite be half.  Monty may
have a better answer.

> Btw, I observe that RC3 oggenc default to -q 3.0 if no quality or ABR
> value is specified. Why is this the default? Is it meant to be "good
> enough for the average listener on average equipment", or "similar in
> size or quality to a LAME-encoded 128kBs MP3 file"?

-q3 is around 112kbps.  This sounds better than the 128kbps from RC2
most of the time.

The idea of the default is two-fold.

1) produce quality that the average listener will probably regard as
near-cd quality. Ie, a setting that sounds good.

2) produce a file that is smaller size that what people are used to.

112 has the quality that it will produce both smaller files and files
that sound better.  We win on both fronts, and the users are impressed.

As monty said in IRC, "112 is still in Vorbis' sweet spot."

jack.