[advocacy] Sony going for Linux?

Nemo - earth native nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Wed Feb 27 05:00:27 PST 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 03:43:05AM -0800, Bacchus Thirteen did utter:

> I am not sure about the spec of PS 2 but 32 is not the
> case, I think.  Even Nintendo produced a 64 MB ram
> machine in the previous generation, hence the name
> Nintendo 64 and it helped to boost the selling of

No, the N64 was named that because it had a 64bit CPU.

It had 4MB of ram builtin, and the option of 4MB expansion.

(all 8 MB was rambus type ram I believe)

GameCube has 24MB
N64 had 4 expandable to 8
PlayStation had 2MB (+1MB video and 512k sound ram)
PS2 has 32meg rambus
Xbox has 64meg unified

Good quick reference URL:
http://vgdb.tripod.com/misc/articles/comparisons/consolecomparisons.html
...the only thing it lacks that I'd like to have seen is a list of CPU
bitsizes. (N64 was a 64bit CPU... PS2 is a 128bit CPU... Xbox is a 32bit
CPU...

.../Nemo