[advocacy] Vorbis support in sound Forge 6

Moritz Grimm gtgbr
Mon Aug 19 15:05:46 PDT 2002

Geoff Shang wrote:
> > Nagging them is the way to go, I suppose. On the other hand, their
> > long-time RC2 support is pretty nice already. RC2 loads all .ogg files,
> > including 1.0 ones ... just saving stuff as Ogg Vorbis within SoundForge
> > is not a very good idea.
> Why?  That's what he wants to do.  Seems rather silly that he should do his
> editing, then save as a wave file and use something else to encode when
> sound forge can do it for you.

I was only talking about the current situation - of course it is bad,
RC3 already came with major improvements in quality and speed. They
should update, definitely. I meant it could be worse ...

Apart from that, while saving directly to Vorbis is/would be
comfortable, I personally prefer to store my changes lossless. I don't
want to use their closed "Perfect Clarity Audio" format (apparently a
lossless encoded format), which is why I choose WAV. My archive is
FLACed or LPACed and from there I encode stuff that I want to release or
listen to myself. For example, if you find yourself in a situation where
you already stored something lossy, and this happens to be the only copy
you have left and then you have to change something else ... that would
introduce unnecessary generation loss.