[advocacy] Linux Home Stereo Component Plays OGG Vorbis

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Sun Apr 7 19:01:57 PDT 2002

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 10:18:19AM -0800, David Gasaway wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
> >http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2002/mpst.html
> >
> >'The MPST Digital Jukebox is presently in the beta phase of its
> >creation and Patnode is offering all those who want to be beta
> >testers for the unit the player for cost of parts'
>
> I checked the specs of this device when the slashdot story popped up
> yesterday.  Unfortunately, it seems you cannot transfer existing oggs to
>  its hard-drive.  Instead, you have to let it encode everything.  And
> tag everything using CDDB/FreeDB - ick!

It's just a desktop PC running Linux and a collection of open-source
software with some patches (most available for direct click and
download, others better be available upon request). There's nothing
keeping you from modifying the system (essentially a MySQL database,
which I'd switch to PostgreSQL if it was easy enough) to e.g. take
music off an inserted data CD or peer on the network. But proper
naming is pretty essential in a player with a purposefully simple
interface, so the solution currently offered seems quite reasonable.

If the author reads this -- please provide the patch you used for the
Vorbis sources... if it was on the software page on the website, I
didn't see it in cursorary examination.

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net>
- "Know thyself."