[advocacy] Re: Why artists should be using Ogg Vorbis

Daniel James daniel
Tue Sep 25 09:46:41 PDT 2001

> In Windows Computers there also is
> the option when creating a WAV sound to use a compression codec
> ie... I can create WAV files using the MP3 codec for example. The
> benefit of this is that any program that supports WAV (which is
> every single audio app in Windows) will then be able to load, edit,
> and play WAV files that have been compressed using OGG Vorbis so
> when they create a codec that can be installed into windows under
> the audio codecs then the format will be accessible in every
> windows audio application.

You'll have to ask the developers on that one! It sounds like all
you're doing is putting an Ogg file into a WAV wrapper to fool the
application. Could be a good way to use those legacy
proprietary apps with Ogg, though.

> One question I have is can you stream Ogg Vorbis files over the
> net? ie... to do so for MP3 files one creates a M3U text file with
> the absolute path to the MP3 file and then links to that text file
> from a webpage. Can this same method work for OGG Vorbis?

I think that would depend on the player, not the file - any player
that could buffer the file and play it as it downloads should work, I
would have thought. That depends on your bandwidth more than the
codec; if it downloads slower than it plays back then you are going
to have an unpleasant listening experience - eg 'Real' Audio.

There's also Icecast, which is designed for streaming, but I haven't
tried that. I used to find with Real Audio files you got exactly the
same performance using metafiles (which told the client to stream,
not download) and a standard webserver, as with Real's very expensive
custom web server. The limitations were all due to bandwidth on the
client side (56k modems or less). Now with more people having
broadband...

Cheers

Daniel