[advocacy] Artist Licensing

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS edmundo
Wed Sep 12 03:41:39 PDT 2001

Aaron Plattner (aaronp at crosswinds.net):

> Along these lines, how useful do you think it would be to have support for
> running GPG/PGP over the contents of an Ogg verifying a signature embedded as a
> comment or in the metadata? That way you could know for sure that a particular
> song was released to the public because it was signed by the artist. This would
> also let you know if a file somehow got corrupted (like MP3's have a tendency to
> do for some reason).

That sounds like overkill to me. The artist can just put a list of MD5
sums on their website, which you compare. GPG would protect you
against a "man in the middle" attack against your communication with
the web site, but, since the data you're checking is music rather than
a kernel module that might compromise an entire system, say, why would
anyone organise such an elaborate attack?

Edmund