[advocacy] Artist Licensing

Aaron Plattner aaronp at crosswinds.net
Tue Sep 11 17:45:20 PDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 08:47:09AM -0700, Bacchus 13 wrote:
> Can this concept of artist licensing be realized in format?  I mean,
> can Oggs flexible comment be used for this purpose?  For example, if
> an artist released his/her music through Ogg on the net, he/she could
> add his/her name, URL address and contact information on the format.
>  By doing this, the artist can show that the music is not pirate and
> released by his/own will.  I wonder if those pieces of information can
> be protected (instead of the format itself) since it would be better
> in terms of idealism: the format saying this is my work and come here
> if you like it.  This is a right issue.

Along these lines, how useful do you think it would be to have support for
running GPG/PGP over the contents of an Ogg verifying a signature embedded as a
comment or in the metadata?  That way you could know for sure that a particular
song was released to the public because it was signed by the artist.  This would
also let you know if a file somehow got corrupted (like MP3's have a tendency to
do for some reason).

Aaron

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>