[advocacy] Re: Personal Music License

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Sep 4 14:28:12 PDT 2001

    pir-acy (n)
    (a) robbery by pirates.
    (b) illegal copying or broadcasting.
    (c) instance of either of these.

The presence of the media companies' definition in a dictionary
doesn't alter the fact that it is a propaganda word.  It carries the
assumption that forbidden copying is the moral equivalent of
attacking a ship.

You personally may think of it that way--if so, I am not surprised you
would use the term.  But people who disagree with you would do well to
avoid it.  We can use neutral terms such as "unauthorised copying",
which describe the activity without expressing any opinion.