[advocacy] Question on Personal License

Bacchus Thirteen bacchus_t
Wed Oct 31 07:16:46 PST 2001

Bacchus: I haven't heard of an example of artists at
MP3 claimed stop downloading from there or not to
share their music. Copyright laws admit their rights
to claim but they won't.

Daniel: That's because mp3.com is an artist-led site
where people upload their own files. It's when third
parties give the same publicity to artists that the
content industry asks 'where's my percentage?'

Bacchus:  In general, there are many contradictions in
laws but lawsuits happen only when interests
contradict.

Please read my argument little bit more carefully.  I
meant there is no person to complain of it when
artists with individual copyrights upload their music
at their own will.  This is why I separated copyrights
by individuals and those by organisations from the
first place in order to avoid the ambiguity which the
record industry makes use of.  Therefore, I think that
I can politely skip your arguments that seem to refer
to copyrights by organisations.

What MP3.com is trying to do is, I think, to
individualise copyrights and I think this is one way
to secure the freedom of artists and their fans.

There are, probably, two ways to avoid the
interference by the record industry.  1. Modifying
copyright law.  2. Overturning the copyright laws and
building a new law from a scratch.

The option 1 seems to be the way of Mp3.com while the
option 2 seems to be Personal License.

Do you think you can persuade artists at MP3.com into
Personal License?  Or, do you  think that you need to
do so?  For Ogg Vorbis format itself can support the
both of Personal License and what MP3.com is doing and
what they are doing is, I think, also a choice.

I won't discourage your effort to persuade famous
artists but the net can gather numerous nameless (at
the moment) artists.  Even if each individual may not
afford lawsuits against the record industry, if they
gather, the story will be different.  The rich and
famous artists have already gained something while
nameless artists won't lose anything.  Then, why don't
you try them whether with Personal License or not?