[advocacy] Proposed Open Source Speech Codec

Bacchus Thirteen bacchus_t at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 08:20:08 PST 2001

--- Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne at skypro.be> wrote:

> AFAIK, ogg is a codec made for music; and 'low
> bitrate' is one of the
> features that seams to be 'in the pipeline'; but can
> you just apply the
> ogg codec to low-speed "voice"?
> I guess the needs for a 'voice' codec (especially
> when used in a
> almost 'real time' applications like VoIP) are very
> different then one for
> 'music'.

Yes, there used to be discussions in the users' list.
Ogg is not designed for voice coding.  However, I am
not a programmer and I thought that 'low bitarte'
could be applied to voice coding as well.  Simply, I
did not know that they were technically so
incompatible.  O.K.  You can laugh at my ingnorance on
technological issues.

> Or, is there a need for a completely new codec?
> Is this what David Rowe proposed? A new non-patented
> codec; that would be
> added to the vorbis 'group', but completely
> different from ogg.

In one of the discussions, it was also said that voice
coding area was heavily patented.  Therefore, beside
the technical issue, it must be very difficult to
combine patent-free and voice coding.  Probably, there
is little can be done on this issue from Vorbis
project and this is not to be discussed here as you
remarked before.