[advocacy] Proposed Open Source Speech Codec

David Rowe voicet at bigpond.com.au
Wed Oct 31 02:38:49 PST 2001

Hello,

First of all - apologies if this is the wrong mailing list to post to,
however this was the closest thing I could find on the net to what I
want to do, which is, develop an open source alternative to the G729 (8
kbit/s) and/or /G723.1 (6 kbit/s) speech codecs.

These codecs are commonly used for Voice Over IP (VOIP), and are
restricted for use via patents that cover parts of the algorithms.
Basicly, you need US$15k+ for the licenses before you even start to
think about using them.  Or you need to buy a DSP chip (ie hardware
solution) with these algorithms embedded (and licensed already).  Or you
need a Microsoft OS (which comes with G723.1).

My idea is to use other non-patented algorithms to develop bit stream
_incompatible_ speech codecs of about the same speech quality.  I have a
PhD in speech coding and have been developing codecs for over 10 years
and believe such a codec can be developed.  In fact, I have a toll
quality, low complexity 16 kbit/s codec already, but need some time and
effort and interest from the open source community to get it down to 8
kbit/s.

I would be interested in comments from this group, as the Org projects
seem to have similar aims, and are solving similar problems.

Thanks in advance,

David