[advocacy] IBM EMMS / Vedalabs Media Engine

WWWhatsup joly
Mon Jul 2 12:29:25 PDT 2001

jack:
> I still think that any company that bases their software on DRM or such
> nonsense will utterly be a failure.

I used to be sure of this too but now I'm not all the way, whatever's
the least fuss will succeed..

I stand by my bottom line - that ogg could become second choice if not
the default compressed audio codec for the vedalabs/EMMS system. We know
there's not too much love lost between IBM and MS - so they might well
encourage it.

And I think there may well be plenty of implementation - these corporate
types are muchly concerned with confidentiality, plus legal requirements of privacy laws etc etc, combined with increased use of speech vs txt etc etc

One could see a point where just like linux's main kudos comes from it's
wide use in corporate servers, helping it leverage a growing consumer base, vorbis use in corporate audio could have a similar effect.

Vedalabs easy to use off the shelf combination of media palyer P2P and encryption
is something I think you guys could be looking at emulating.
Freeamp + Freenet + PGP ? It would sure seem to be something that could
have radical applications.

joly