[advocacy] Music Online Competition Act Ramifications??

Bacchus Thirteen bacchus_t
Thu Dec 20 10:23:42 PST 2001

--- Daniel James <daniel at mondodesigno.com> wrote:
> > Unless some kind of copy-protection is available
> (optionally) to
> > Ogg files, you will never see big-name music
> available legally.
>
> This is a commonly held opinion, but I'd like to
> point out that
> pay-to-play downloaded music is neither established
> nor proven. The
> content industry talks as if such a system existed
> and was already in
> use by the majority of people. Time for a reality
> check?

Now, the record industry started the 'service.'  So,
let's see how popular they can be.  ;-)

Personally, I do not care if the record industry
prevents their music from copying as long as the
musicians agree with it.  If some people agree with
it, again, it's O.K.  However, if some musicians like
their music open, the tendencies such as DRM and SSSCA
restrain these self-confident musicians sharing their
music with us.  Companies are also more than welcome
as long as they agree with the open-source movement.
(Without them, Linux now were not possible.)

As long as the tendencies above are concerned, The
record industry seems to think that as long as they
can control media with large amount money, they can
also control the market, or our mind for the sake of
their own profit.  Well...let's see.

I hope Vorbis project will play a part of role for
people to be conscious of the importance of
open-source and gives us a certain amount of freedom.